The Light of the World

It took me until this year to feel similarly to how I feel at Christmas at Eastertime.

I would never try to pit these two beautiful days against each other. One celebrates the beginning of Christ's unmatched mortal life -- the other celebrates His triumph over death, both physical and spiritual.

I also understand the differences between these two days in the emotions that surround them. With Christmas, it is warm, and shimmering, and exciting. With Easter, it is more somber, as we contemplate the life that was given so we may have life eternal.

But this year, perhaps more than any year before, I have come to appreciate Easter like I learned to appreciate Christmas as a younger Em. It was always easy for me, as a naturally happy person, to understand the joy that Christmas brings; but it hasn't been until this past year that I've come to understand, if not fully, then surely deeper than I ever have, the beauty of Easter, and the different kind of joy in its celebration.

You see, this year has been one of the most challenging for me in many ways, as I'm sure it has been for you. I have seen a lot of painful endings, and I have been in the midst of a lot of uncertainty. And then, the world went nutso, so there's also been that to deal with on top of everything else.

And you know what? I'm somehow grateful.

I mean, listen. Trials are NOT fun. Trials are NOT inherently blessings. Trials...suck. A lot. There is really nothing good about them on their own. I've said all this before. See previous posts for evidence. And I've also said this before: anyone who prays for trials or says that they're good things is a crazy weirdo. I know, because I have been that crazy weirdo before.

But here's the thing -- the message of Easter, and the whole message of Jesus's life, is that even the most unconquerable thing can be conquered through God's power. And so even though we may experience these heartaches and hard times that are one of life's absolute guarantees, there is an equal certainty in Christ's power. He conquered death. There is nothing more final or absolute than death -- except Him. His word, His power, His love.

I am not saying that every dream we have will come true. I am not saying that things will work out the way we want every time. But I will say, with absolute certainty, that whatever we lose in life will be made up for in His grace. He will heal our pain, share in our sadness, and save us from our mistakes. Our trials are not inherently beautiful, but they become so with His help.

So this Easter, I face the future with a broken heart, a messy life, and loads of hope. I know that there are blessings more wonderful than I can even imagine in store for me, and whatever high water there be on the way to those blessings, I know He can swim better than I can, and will help me get there.

He is the Resurrection and the Life. Happy Easter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Master of Death

A Study on Perfection, Passions and Purpose

To My Future Husband: