Namaste


I love to take pictures of other humans. 

I love catching people in moments with their friends and family, smiles on their faces, eyes all crinkled in a laugh. I love it when I can make a dumb joke that helps someone laugh and get it on camera. I love noticing these little things about people.

Recently on all platforms of social media, I have been bombarded with opinions and images and all sorts of things, much of them directed in some way toward the worth of a person. Some of these are even accusatory, claiming that certain people's value is dependent upon their beliefs & religion, their "good" or "poor" decisions, or even (shockingly, incredibly, unbelievably) their outward appearance.

I hope to address you today in quite a different spirit. I don't want to attack anyone's beliefs or ideas; rather, I hope to share mine. A significant portion of this will be founded upon the principles of the religion I have chosen to live, but I hope this will be accessible to people of every background and faith.

With that, I'd like to begin with a word that is very important to me: namaste. 

You've heard it before, anywhere from Karate Kid to your Thursday night yoga class. It's a Sanskrit word with special meaning in the Hindu religion and philosophy. Most often it is said with a bow, hands pressed together, the word itself translating to, "I bow to you," but in Hinduism conveying a deeper meaning: "I recognize the divine in you." One of my favorite yogis and a dear friend of mine took it even a step farther when she said, "the divine in me sees the divine in you." 

I think the concept of namaste is a beautiful one, and I have found that one of my most favorite things to do is create namaste in real time by noticing little things about others, particularly little bits of information that help me to understand that person better and thus recognize what I believe to be the image of God in their countenances. 

I was raised as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As a kid growing up one of the most important and pivotal truths taught to my siblings and I in our childhood was expressed through a song called "I Am a Child of God" -- and I know you see where I'm going with this. The song is about recognizing our nature as a son or daughter of deity, and whether or not you believe that you are literally the child of a divine and all-powerful God who loves you, as I do, I think the sentiment is valuable nonetheless -- that you have value, that there is a purpose to your life, and that you have incredible potential to become whatever you feel inspired to become. However you believe you were created, you were created for a purpose. Whatever your current position, you are able to choose your path in life and reach your goals.

And I've got news for you! There is no reason that that ever changes, no matter what your belief system is. Like, even if you become a slave to addiction, or make a controversial decision, or offend someone, you actually stay at the same value and that doesn't decrease at all, ever, for any reason. Within the context of religion, you may sin and fall short as we all do, but -- I know this might sound odd, but it's true -- your soul is not worth any less because you do. In fact, even if you were to sin, and keep sinning, and never repent, that in no way negates what you are worth. Even if you make bad decisions, you are still a child of God.

Can I say that a little bit louder? WHAT SOMEONE DOES HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR VALUE AS A PERSON BECAUSE VALUE IS DEPENDENT UPON INTERNAL FACTORS, NOT EXTERNAL ONES. 

So, for a minute, let's think about every single person who's ever bothered you in any way. Maybe it was that kid on the bus in seventh grade who said your shoes looked like garbage bags. Or possibly your ex-boyfriend in high school who broke up with you because he fell out of love with you. Or maybe the girl who whispered to her friends every time you said a word in class. The guy in the gold Toyota Camry who cut you off on your way to work yesterday, or the really creepy dude who stalked you for a year and a half during high school, or your teacher who gave you a grade lower than you deserved out of spite, or that kid who was just straight up negative all the time & constantly trying to pick a fight, or the guy who wore flip-flops to school in 45 degree weather. (That last one is a personal example. I was legitimately disturbed.) 

Chances are, we don't feel super positively toward any of those people. (Well, I guess I can forgive the flip-flop guy.) But maybe, given a little enlightenment, a little perspective, we can look at each of those people and just give 'em a little yogi and say "namaste". And believe it about them, because it's true. I believe they are children of God. 

Now, those are just one group of people that I've noticed that I need to do better at recognizing the divine in. Let's talk about another thing.

I have seen a lot of shaming going on recently. I categorize shaming as attacking people who make decisions that you deem to be poor or wrong. Some of the most inappropriate of these attacks are directed at people who simply have different values or standards. And I know this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm just gonna say it because I know it's true: you are not entitled to attack anyone for what they choose to do. 

I'm not saying that everyone has to believe the same things. Difference of opinion, diversity of thought, is what adds flavor to life. There are ways to share your beliefs without being unpleasant, though, and loving ways to disagree with people as well. I'm not asking that we stop sharing; I'm saying there is a better way to do it. Name-calling, hatred, generalizing, and harsh judgment are not effective or ethical.

I think in general, what I'm talking about is acceptance. Let me clarify a little bit: you can disagree with someone, fundamentally, even, and still accept them. Accepting just means you see where they're coming from -- it means validating their beliefs, even if they don't line up with yours. Might I even say that to accept them, you recognize within them something more complex and beautiful than you currently understand? People who make decisions that you wouldn't make are still people. And their thoughts deserve to be heard, even if you don't agree with them.

I think I've exhausted that group enough. Now let's think about a different group of people, together.

I met this woman on the bus yesterday. Her name was Leslie and she was a beautiful woman, probably in her sixties. She was visiting her dad in a rehab center before getting on the bus next to me. I really don't know what possessed me to talk to her, but it was definitely inspired. She shared with me that she lived alone and felt alone. She also told me of all the ways she had been mistreated by others. If she hadn't sat by me, I doubt I would have even noticed her to begin talking to her. 

Folks, I'm talking about the wallflowers. There are people everywhere who feel so alone and so invisible. There are people who are hurting who have no one to talk to about it. There are ciphers everywhere, and too many of them slip beneath our notice like the popcorn kernels under the couch cushion. But guys, they aren't popcorn kernels, they're people! People with names and lives and important thoughts! 

I don't know. Maybe I'm nuts! But I seem to remember being that popcorn-kernel-person. And there is nothing worse than being in a place full of people and feeling alone. Do you think it's possible that we could show these people a little bit of namaste as well? Because these people as much as anyone else are worth loving and knowing and accepting.

My absolute prayer is that we will be more proactive at noticing the Leslies on the bus. Everyone is so important, okay? For real.

OKAY, ONE LAST THING:

Let's take a look in the mirror. You see that face? I know there's some of you that probably know each and every flaw you'll find when you look in there. Are you tearing yourself apart? Because honey, that ain't namaste. That's the exact opposite. 

So press those palms together. Look into your own eyes. Notice the freckles, the wrinkles, the dimples, the red splotchy parts, maybe zits, the curve of your eyelashes, the shape of your jawline. Bow to yourself, you beautiful thing. And say it: "Namaste." (if you want you can add a little "Heck yeah!" on the end of that, because that just makes me feel all happy inside.) Recognize the divine in you. You are a child of God. And I know that once you see that in yourself, it's much, much easier to see it in others.

Namaste to you. I hope you can tell how much I love you.

Love,
Em

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Master of Death

A Study on Perfection, Passions and Purpose

To My Future Husband: